Saturday, January 16, 2010

X-Ray Spex "Conscious Consumer"



I've been digging into a lot of female singers lately
and poly styrene is one lil girl turned punk rock head honcho posterchild of the 77 uk punk explosion, who cant be ignored.
having written "germ free adolescents" with its non stop hooks,post-modern consumer imagery,and punk brash it's certain it was too good to be true. with tracks like "identity" + "oh bondage up yours!" it would only be a matter of time till it all came
to a fukkking halt.so its nice that poly returned almost 20 years later to make this album in 1995. much more mature sounding and based in more of a rock world, it still is poly in all her glory.

for anyone who hasnt heard poly's work you must get x-ray spex first lp
"germ free adolescents." as it is in my opinion her finest work.
and for all you old tossers that wrote her off after she went hare krishna. take this album and shove it as she's joined by OG members lora logic + paul dean on this release.


A note from From Poly Styrene -
London. West End. Browsing in the record stores. I spy the Spex. Serious disbelief. How many times can they re-package one album.Crazy or what?
So many unrecorded songs I've got because I haven't stopped writing since Spex disbanded, you know. So I phone Receiver Records to inform them of the Pop Art Moving Diary I'm compiling right now. It includes original X-Ray Spex songs and future material.At the same time I ask them "Would you like me to do some shelf filling?" and Frank Lea replies "Yes. We'd love it Poly!"
I like enthusiasm. I get together with Paul, Lora and friends. Six weeks later Receiver is in receipt of Conscious Consumer, our zillion-selling CD to fill all the shelves of all the record shops between here and the edge of the galaxy. Love to spend more time with you but I have to pop out for a byte of Audio Lunch.

file under: chix who got more balls than men



Tracklist:

1] Cigarettes
2] Junk Food Junkie
3] Crystal Clear
4] India
5] Dog In Sweden
6] Hi Chaperone
7] Good Time Girl
8] Melancholy
9] Sophia
10] Peace Meal
11] Prayer For Peace
12] Party


X-Ray Spex - Mediafire

**OR**

X-Ray Spex - Megaupload

No comments:

Post a Comment